Monday, June 23, 2008

Two Small, But Impactful Blessings

Already I have not kept my goal of posting often. I will try to make it up. :) This last week has been crazy! RJ left on Wednesday and that was shocking for our whole family. We are slowly recovering. Also, for most of Saturday, I was gone at the Rebelution Conference (a conference rebelling against low expectations for youth) held in the Twin Cities.

So, I suppose I should get to the point of my title. Twice, within about the last week, I have been blessed with having an amazing opportunity to take some fantastic pictures. Both came on days where I would later be rather stressed out. I think that maybe this is God's way of making my day bearable since He knew what I would go through. He has been teaching me to appreciate the things He does bless me with rather than always focusing on what is wrong in my life. These were just a couple opportunities to put into practice what He is teaching me. Taking these pictures was such a joy and I thank God for them.


With this last pic, let's see if anyone can tell me what reoccurring theme there is, but if I already told you, please don't share. :)

4 comments:

Elenatintil said...

Wow...you could go into insect photojournelisim...

I wish you could have been out at the cabin today- with your camera. We had a hummingbird around that you probably could have gotten some great pictures of. At one point, when my dad was trying to get him out of the garage, he rested on a broomhead for a least a minute. I've never seen a hummingbird just perching on something before...

Josh said...

Yeah, I totally should... :)

That's awesome! I love hummingbirds, but I never get to see them for very long.

Bruce Kratky said...

Often blessings come in small packages. Your photos prove this. There are many biblical references to the concept of "paying attention" to the life that God has given you and the life he has put all around you. When we fail to pay attention we miss the blessings that come to us in forms other than the proverbial two by four to the forehead. At the same time I am reminded of a film I once saw which panned from the landscape mode, which showed a beautiful meadow amidst a mountain range, to an ever smaller perspective until it zeroed in on insects in the grass. In that scene one insect is dismembering and eating another in a most violent act of nature. So, you have the contrast of the beauty of the macro landscape juxaposed to the violence of micro survival of the fitest all happening at the same time and place. The director was communicating the idea that sometimes we see only what we want to see and nothing more. There is always more. So, I propose that oft times the macro world we see is actually the ugliness of fallen creation. The Lord askes us to look deeper. His world is the antithesis of this and as we pan smaller and smaller we will see not survival of the fittest, we will see His grace and beauty. Great photography Josh. Nicely done.

Josh said...

Great thoughts as usual Bruce! Thank you so much for sharing! I benefit so much from your wisdom.