Friday, July 25, 2008

Jon Foreman!!!

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't posted in so long! Honestly, things have just been busy and I haven't really made time for blogging, but I'm back now. :)

Jon Foreman In Concert
On July 11th I got to see Jon Foreman play at the Coffee Bene in St. Paul. For those of you who don't know, Jon Foreman is the lead singer for the band Switchfoot. However, over the last year he has put out four solo EPs named after the four seasons. Each EP contains his own musings on numerous subjects, but they are also in the style and feel of the particular season. "Summer" was the last EP so we were able to pick from all of his songs (he had the audience write down what songs they wanted to hear.)


The Coffee Bene is no larger than your everyday Caribou and even though my friends and I managed to get there early, I still ended up in the fifth row back. About 45 minutes before the performance was supposed to begin, Jon Foreman walks in with some of his friends. He shakes some peoples hands, they order their drinks, and then began to set up. The cool thing is that it was one of the most natural things ever. It just felt like a bunch of friends hanging out.


The concert itself was amazing. It was as Jon said, "professional" because it was free. I just love the fact that he did four free shows just because he wanted to give to his fans and because he loves performing like that. I didn't know all of the songs, but I still thoroughly enjoyed them. The only performers were Jon Foreman (playing acoustic guitar and harmonica) and another man on a cello (which happens to be one of my favorite instruments so I was VERY excited.) The music was beautiful and Jon's voice is amazing. Also Jon was so laid back as he talked to the crowd, it just gave a feeling of family.













Afterwards, tons of people wanted to talk to Jon and he still had another show to play at 11:00 that night so I only got to talk to him for 30 seconds to a minute. However, I got to talk to Chad, the drummer for Switchfoot (he was just chillin' there), for about 15 minutes. That was a very cool experience. Both Jon and Chad are extremely friendly people who have the love of Christ overflowing from them. That was the first time I got to see Jon Foreman playing solo. I sure hope that I will see him again in the future.

1 comment:

Bruce Kratky said...

David Copperfield is a great magician. What he can do with his hands, mind, and your attention is amazing. Yet, I find that a good musician is far greater than anyone who is great at slight of hand and mind. Music, it is more honest. It is also more difficult to make beauty.